The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 1.95% or 9.36 points to trade at 489.68 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 1.58% or 2.73 points to end at 175.74 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 1.56% or 2.13 points to 138.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 4.75% or 2.61 points to trade at 52.34 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 4.35% or 8.54 points to end at 187.83 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 4.35% or 6.72 points to 147.87.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which rose 5.96% to 80.58, Clorox Co (NYSE: CLX ) which was up 5.19% to settle at 132.14 and Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which gained 4.68% to close at 136.07.
The worst performers were Altria Group (NYSE: MO ) which was down 9.19% to 41.50 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 7.96% to settle at 31.32 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was down 7.23% to 23.10 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ocean Bio-Chem Inc (NASDAQ: OBCI ) which rose 117.23% to 12.86, Phoenix Motor Inc (NASDAQ: PEV ) which was up 70.47% to settle at 5.83 and Visionary Education Technology Holdings Group Inc (NASDAQ: VEDU ) which gained 47.86% to close at 1.73.
The worst performers were Athira Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: ATHA ) which was down 66.27% to 2.85 in late trade, Neptune Wellness Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: NEPT ) which lost 40.69% to settle at 1.72 and Electric Last Mile Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: ELMS ) which was down 34.97% to 0.19 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1743 to 1444 and 132 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1928 fell and 1880 advanced, while 223 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.11% to 28.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.06% or 1.15 to $1,839.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 3.93% or 4.30 to hit $105.22 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 3.38% or 3.88 to trade at $110.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.40% to 1.06, while USD/JPY fell 0.25% to 136.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.22% at 103.98.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.