The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 4.28% or 1.91 points to trade at 46.53 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 1.78% or 2.62 points to end at 149.88 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 1.66% or 1.94 points to 118.84 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 1.97% or 6.48 points to trade at 323.01 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.92% or 3.89 points to end at 198.49 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 1.81% or 2.92 points to 158.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which rose 5.11% to 31.07, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) which was up 4.28% to settle at 46.53 and Cooper Companies Inc (NYSE: COO ) which gained 3.60% to close at 391.56.
The worst performers were Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which was down 8.24% to 616.53 in late trade, Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which lost 6.42% to settle at 1014.97 and SVB Financial Group (NASDAQ: SIVB ) which was down 5.28% to 674.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TuanChe ADR (NASDAQ: TC ) which rose 44.74% to 3.300, Celyad SA (NASDAQ: CYAD ) which was up 32.02% to settle at 4.700 and IO Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: IOBT ) which gained 31.80% to close at 10.90.
The worst performers were DocuSign Inc (NASDAQ: DOCU ) which was down 42.22% to 135.09 in late trade, Esperion Th (NASDAQ: ESPR ) which lost 41.47% to settle at 5.25 and American Virtual Cloud Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AVCT ) which was down 35.81% to 0.950 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2411 to 834 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2988 fell and 772 advanced, while 154 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.02% to 30.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 1.22% or 21.45 to $1784.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.35% or 0.23 to hit $66.27 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.34% or 0.24 to trade at $69.91 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.15% to 1.1316, while USD/JPY fell 0.30% to 112.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.01% at 96.172.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.