The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 8.92% or 14.18 points to trade at 173.11 at the close. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) added 5.65% or 7.28 points to end at 136.10 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 4.25% or 5.41 points to 132.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.43% or 7.64 points to trade at 215.39 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 2.66% or 7.88 points to end at 288.49 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 2.65% or 1.39 points to 50.99.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) which rose 8.92% to 173.11, APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which was up 8.28% to settle at 33.07 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 8.12% to close at 36.77.
The worst performers were Nextera Energy Inc (NYSE: NEE ) which was down 8.33% to 75.10 in late trade, Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which lost 6.75% to settle at 374.87 and Paycom Soft (NYSE: PAYC ) which was down 6.70% to 304.44 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sierra Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: SRRA ) which rose 46.23% to 22.68, Aptorum Group Ltd Class A (NASDAQ: APM ) which was up 38.89% to settle at 2.250 and Exela Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: XELA ) which gained 32.95% to close at 0.5500.
The worst performers were Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which was down 21.79% to 8.290 in late trade, Yoshitsu Co Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: TKLF ) which lost 16.42% to settle at 3.92 and AgileThought Inc (NASDAQ: AGIL ) which was down 15.94% to 4.270 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1844 to 1445 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2306 fell and 1585 advanced, while 178 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.21% to 31.16 a new 6-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.35% or 6.40 to $1848.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 2.20% or 1.83 to hit $85.14 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.06% or 0.05 to trade at $86.86 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1302, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 113.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 95.972.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.