U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.20%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Consumer Services , Technology and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.20%, while the S&P 500 index lost 0.30%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.72%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 2.02% or 10.02 points to trade at 505.66 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.93% or 2.80 points to end at 147.57 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.37% or 1.28 points to 94.41 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 2.48% or 4.61 points to trade at 181.31 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 2.13% or 2.41 points to end at 110.50 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.99% or 2.81 points to 138.72.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO ) which rose 8.00% to 112.24, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was up 7.48% to settle at 57.79 and Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which gained 5.18% to close at 106.96.
The worst performers were Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 3.55% to 80.65 in late trade, Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: EA ) which lost 3.53% to settle at 125.60 and Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ: ADSK ) which was down 3.43% to 185.87 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Evofem Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: EVFM ) which rose 187.71% to 1.07, Acutus Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AFIB ) which was up 87.59% to settle at 1.01 and Epizyme Inc (NASDAQ: EPZM ) which gained 55.14% to close at 1.48.
The worst performers were Powerbridge Technologies Co Ltd (NASDAQ: PBTS ) which was down 34.95% to 0.67 in late trade, Borqs Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BRQS ) which lost 24.38% to settle at 2.15 and Enochian Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENOB ) which was down 21.92% to 2.60 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1765 to 1420 and 113 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1959 rose and 1850 declined, while 203 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.03% to 26.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.39% or 7.15 to $1,823.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.90% or 2.05 to hit $109.67 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 1.77% or 1.93 to trade at $111.03 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.28% to 1.06, while USD/JPY rose 0.23% to 135.48.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.26% at 103.69.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or