The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 2.32% or 3.55 points to trade at 156.73 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 1.36% or 0.99 points to end at 73.72 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 1.11% or 2.35 points to 213.74 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.83% or 10.17 points to trade at 255.59 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 3.26% or 11.06 points to end at 328.34 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 1.43% or 0.84 points to 57.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which rose 4.71% to 81.83, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was up 3.95% to settle at 25.78 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which gained 3.27% to close at 20.24.
The worst performers were Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which was down 6.60% to 614.86 in late trade, MSCI Inc (NYSE: MSCI ) which lost 4.94% to settle at 591.07 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 4.76% to 315.80 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Galera Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GRTX ) which rose 95.65% to 2.700, Mind Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MIND ) which was up 29.93% to settle at 1.7800 and Alzamend Neuro Inc (NASDAQ: ALZN ) which gained 28.33% to close at 3.08.
The worst performers were Adagio Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ADGI ) which was down 78.81% to 7.26 in late trade, Cabaletta Bio Inc (NASDAQ: CABA ) which lost 73.14% to settle at 3.360 and Generation Bio Co (NASDAQ: GBIO ) which was down 56.91% to 5.99 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2298 to 973 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2652 fell and 1155 advanced, while 201 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.78% to 21.89.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.95% or 16.95 to $1771.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 1.39% or 0.99 to hit $70.30 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $73.22 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1259, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 113.74.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.26% at 96.523.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.