The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 4.68% or 5.97 points to trade at 133.46 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 4.37% or 9.54 points to end at 227.81 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.07% or 1.33 points to 65.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.22% or 6.31 points to trade at 189.41 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 3.00% or 5.11 points to end at 165.29 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 2.85% or 1.34 points to 45.67.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) which rose 4.68% to 133.46, Huntington Ingalls Industries Inc (NYSE: HII ) which was up 4.57% to settle at 222.67 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) which gained 4.37% to close at 227.81.
The worst performers were State Street Corp (NYSE: STT ) which was down 8.50% to 75.81 in late trade, WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which lost 6.77% to settle at 491.43 and Generac Holdlings Inc (NYSE: GNRC ) which was down 6.30% to 251.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Medavail Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MDVL ) which rose 69.44% to 2.44, Cumulus Media Inc Class A (NASDAQ: CMLS ) which was up 39.86% to settle at 14.21 and Apptech Corp (NASDAQ: APCX ) which gained 35.54% to close at 2.25.
The worst performers were Histogen Inc (NASDAQ: HSTO ) which was down 36.38% to 0.25 in late trade, Singularity Future Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: SGLY ) which lost 23.19% to settle at 6.46 and Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which was down 21.83% to 19.95 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2047 to 1178 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2520 fell and 1312 advanced, while 210 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.03% to 22.70.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.60% or 11.90 to $1,972.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 2.08% or 2.17 to hit $106.42 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 2.46% or 2.68 to trade at $111.46 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.51% to 1.08, while USD/JPY rose 0.22% to 125.93.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.40% at 100.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.