The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 1.05% or 2.25 points to trade at 216.53 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.55% or 0.68 points to end at 124.87 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 0.53% or 0.70 points to 133.92 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.40% or 3.79 points to trade at 266.92 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.25% or 2.80 points to end at 221.81 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.98% or 1.45 points to 146.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 13.03% to 23.11, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was up 3.95% to settle at 12.10 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which gained 3.59% to close at 38.91.
The worst performers were International Flavors & Fragrances Inc (NYSE: IFF ) which was down 5.79% to 133.81 in late trade, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which lost 3.98% to settle at 181.69 and Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was down 3.65% to 252.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Synthorx Inc (NASDAQ: THOR ) which rose 170.52% to 67.71, Forty Seven Inc (NASDAQ: FTSV ) which was up 110.73% to settle at 30.43 and ArQule Inc (NASDAQ: ARQL ) which gained 103.88% to close at 19.705.
The worst performers were Precision BioSciences Inc (NASDAQ: DTIL ) which was down 51.68% to 9.50 in late trade, Biocept Inc (NASDAQ: BIOC ) which lost 49.99% to settle at 0.270 and ObsEva SA (NASDAQ: OBSV ) which was down 29.32% to 3.23 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1398 to 1386 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1500 fell and 1145 advanced, while 84 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 16.45% to 15.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.06% or 0.85 to $1465.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.49% or 0.29 to hit $58.91 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $64.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1064, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 108.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.04% at 97.620.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.