The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which rose 1.76% or 2.46 points to trade at 142.22 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.49% or 2.14 points to end at 145.61 and Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON ) was up 0.69% or 1.26 points to 184.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 1.99% or 7.04 points to trade at 347.36 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 1.72% or 1.69 points to end at 96.42 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.64% or 0.81 points to 48.16.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 19.16% to 3.98, News Corp B (NASDAQ: NWS ) which was up 8.85% to settle at 15.13 and News Corp A (NASDAQ: NWSA ) which gained 8.39% to close at 15.18.
The worst performers were Flowserve Corporation (NYSE: FLS ) which was down 9.42% to 28.64 in late trade, ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which lost 7.46% to settle at 28.95 and DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 6.74% to 18.26 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Mogo Inc (NASDAQ: MOGO ) which rose 35.82% to 1.820, Sundial Growers Inc (NASDAQ: SNDL ) which was up 33.82% to settle at 0.29 and Glu Mobile Inc (NASDAQ: GLUU ) which gained 27.73% to close at 8.82.
The worst performers were Assembly Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ASMB ) which was down 68.27% to 5.04 in late trade, Autobytel Inc (NASDAQ: AUTO ) which lost 38.02% to settle at 2.380 and Global Blood Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GBT ) which was down 37.17% to 37.90 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1754 to 1076 and 91 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1708 fell and 984 advanced, while 72 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.58% to 25.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.33% or 6.40 to $1953.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 3.76% or 1.46 to hit $37.33 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 3.10% or 1.27 to trade at $39.66 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.49% to 1.1880, while USD/JPY fell 0.18% to 103.28.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.29% at 92.252.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.