The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 2.43% or 5.42 points to trade at 228.56 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 2.40% or 3.34 points to end at 142.59 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 1.93% or 2.90 points to 152.91 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.50% or 7.47 points to trade at 206.00 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 2.70% or 6.31 points to end at 227.56 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 2.45% or 3.06 points to 122.06.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Lumen Technologies Inc (NYSE: LUMN ) which rose 7.32% to 13.79, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was up 6.25% to settle at 33.13 and HollyFrontier Corporation (NYSE: HFC ) which gained 5.54% to close at 39.03.
The worst performers were MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 12.01% to 509.35 in late trade, Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which lost 6.35% to settle at 527.43 and IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which was down 5.94% to 498.02 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were KemPharm Inc (NASDAQ: KMPH ) which rose 42.84% to 13.4700, 1895 of Wisconsin Inc Bancorp (NASDAQ: BCOW ) which was up 36.76% to settle at 13.95 and Ovid Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OVID ) which gained 36.49% to close at 4.04.
The worst performers were Vir Biotechnology Inc (NASDAQ: VIR ) which was down 27.64% to 41.78 in late trade, MICT Inc (NASDAQ: MICT ) which lost 21.96% to settle at 2.310 and Intrusion Inc (NASDAQ: INTZ ) which was down 21.05% to 18.57 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1717 to 1512 and 67 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2152 fell and 1175 advanced, while 57 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.66% to 26.67.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.40% or 24.30 to $1709.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 2.18% or 1.30 to hit $61.05 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $63.95 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.2064, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 106.99.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.24% at 91.007.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.