The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.64% or 2.63 points to trade at 163.34 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.21% or 2.56 points to end at 213.94 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 0.44% or 0.69 points to 159.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 2.40% or 5.29 points to trade at 215.58 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 2.23% or 3.83 points to end at 168.07 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 2.04% or 1.54 points to 73.82.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which rose 5.59% to 20.20, Willis Towers Watson PLC (NASDAQ: WLTW ) which was up 4.45% to settle at 236.00 and Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which gained 4.32% to close at 23.16.
The worst performers were Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which was down 6.66% to 300.15 in late trade, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which lost 5.82% to settle at 240.00 and Digital Realty Trust Inc (NYSE: DLR ) which was down 4.97% to 157.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Rocket Lab USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: RKLB ) which rose 37.24% to 20.71, Gevo Inc (NASDAQ: GEVO ) which was up 37.13% to settle at 7.940 and Impel Neuropharma Inc (NASDAQ: IMPL ) which gained 27.01% to close at 21.090.
The worst performers were Humanigen Inc (NASDAQ: HGEN ) which was down 47.25% to 7.97 in late trade, Tuesday Morning Corp (NASDAQ: TUEM ) which lost 44.96% to settle at 2.350 and Otonomo Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ: OTMO ) which was down 17.91% to 6.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1666 to 1523 and 150 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1866 rose and 1656 declined, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.68% to 18.80.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.15% or 2.65 to $1796.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 2.01% or 1.39 to hit $67.91 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.86% or 1.35 to trade at $71.25 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.08% to 1.1823, while USD/JPY fell 0.46% to 109.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.13% at 92.525.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.