The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.52% or 1.20 points to trade at 48.76 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 1.39% or 3.38 points to end at 247.02 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 1.21% or 0.56 points to 46.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.47% or 1.66 points to trade at 65.45 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.94% or 4.60 points to end at 232.73 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 1.53% or 2.86 points to 184.42.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were E-TRADE Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: ETFC ) which rose 21.81% to 54.73, Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which was up 6.49% to settle at 43.30 and Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which gained 5.56% to close at 94.31.
The worst performers were ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which was down 17.89% to 29.29 in late trade, Copart Inc (NASDAQ: CPRT ) which lost 6.89% to settle at 97.30 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 6.75% to 48.51 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Tocagen Inc (NASDAQ: TOCA ) which rose 85.45% to 0.9000, Vical Inc (NASDAQ: BBI ) which was up 68.13% to settle at 3.060 and Stampscom Inc (NASDAQ: STMP ) which gained 65.50% to close at 157.99.
The worst performers were Tivity Health Inc (NASDAQ: TVTY ) which was down 45.49% to 12.50 in late trade, AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which lost 25.00% to settle at 1.020 and Viveve Medical Inc (NASDAQ: VIVE ) which was down 20.00% to 1.4400 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1637 to 1157 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1469 rose and 1167 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.21% to 15.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.65% or 10.45 to $1622.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.45% or 0.24 to hit $53.73 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $59.04 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.0786, while USD/JPY fell 0.03% to 112.08.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.22% at 99.812.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.