The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 2.28% or 1.65 points to trade at 74.05 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 1.38% or 2.26 points to end at 165.65 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 1.13% or 2.67 points to 239.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.32% or 5.56 points to trade at 234.60 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.85% or 4.68 points to end at 248.08 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.45% or 2.42 points to 164.09.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 4.87% to 19.59, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was up 3.09% to settle at 522.09 and Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE ) which gained 2.96% to close at 139.45.
The worst performers were DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was down 7.21% to 40.44 in late trade, Campbell Soup Company (NYSE: CPB ) which lost 6.50% to settle at 45.92 and Brown Forman (NYSE: BFb ) which was down 5.71% to 75.14 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aethlon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AEMD ) which rose 383.71% to 10.690, American Software Inc (NASDAQ: AMSWA ) which was up 38.86% to settle at 28.23 and Clean Energy Fuels Corp (NASDAQ: CLNE ) which gained 31.41% to close at 13.010.
The worst performers were Atossa Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: ATOS ) which was down 27.35% to 4.410 in late trade, Clover Health Investments Corp (NASDAQ: CLOV ) which lost 23.39% to settle at 16.97 and SemiLEDS Corporation (NASDAQ: LEDS ) which was down 22.22% to 20.090 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1738 to 1445 and 135 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1852 fell and 1534 advanced, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.80% to 17.89.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.17% or 3.25 to $1891.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.43% or 0.30 to hit $69.75 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.26% or 0.19 to trade at $72.03 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.2177, while USD/JPY rose 0.13% to 109.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 90.142.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.