The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 1.54% or 0.60 points to trade at 39.49 at the close. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) added 0.34% or 0.19 points to end at 55.53 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.31% or 0.91 points to 295.13 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.91% or 6.42 points to trade at 329.92 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 1.53% or 2.11 points to end at 135.51 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 1.32% or 0.69 points to 51.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 24.69% to 26.92, Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which was up 3.52% to settle at 59.72 and Tyson Foods Inc (NYSE: TSN ) which gained 3.04% to close at 91.92.
The worst performers were Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which was down 3.92% to 34.84 in late trade, IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which lost 3.13% to settle at 135.27 and Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which was down 3.09% to 28.85 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were CounterPath Corp (NASDAQ: CPAH ) which rose 296.00% to 3.920, Origin Agritech Ltd (NASDAQ: SEED ) which was up 44.63% to settle at 10.240 and China SXT Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SXTC ) which gained 42.46% to close at 1.0700.
The worst performers were Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PTLA ) which was down 40.34% to 14.76 in late trade, Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which lost 37.31% to settle at 0.58 and RumbleON Inc (NASDAQ: RMBL ) which was down 26.03% to 0.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1523 to 1281 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1547 fell and 1113 advanced, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.16% to 12.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.57% or 8.90 to $1563.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.74% or 0.44 to hit $59.12 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.46% or 0.30 to trade at $65.07 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.14% to 1.1121, while USD/JPY fell 0.03% to 109.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.09% at 97.075.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.