The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.60% or 1.20 points to trade at 47.31 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.20% or 3.23 points to end at 149.94 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 1.40% or 3.08 points to 222.67 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 3.91% or 9.98 points to trade at 245.41 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 3.23% or 3.77 points to end at 113.02 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 2.95% or 6.27 points to 206.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were LyondellBasell Industries NV (NYSE: LYB ) which rose 6.02% to 72.24, Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which was up 5.71% to settle at 7.41 and United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which gained 5.51% to close at 185.02.
The worst performers were Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which was down 5.30% to 78.30 in late trade, Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which lost 4.65% to settle at 260.80 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was down 4.63% to 503.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Nano X Imaging Ltd (NASDAQ: NNOX ) which rose 56.20% to 37.44, Westwater Resources Inc (NASDAQ: WWR ) which was up 49.32% to settle at 4.420 and ProPhase Labs Inc (NASDAQ: PRPH ) which gained 32.05% to close at 5.150.
The worst performers were Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which was down 36.74% to 3.03 in late trade, Mesoblast Ltd (NASDAQ: MESO ) which lost 35.27% to settle at 12.03 and Oasis Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: OAS ) which was down 19.10% to 0.171 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1907 to 1162 and 96 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1486 fell and 1380 advanced, while 78 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.48% to 27.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.64% or 12.30 to $1904.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 4.52% or 1.75 to hit $36.97 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 4.25% or 1.74 to trade at $39.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.26% to 1.1716, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 105.30.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.15% at 93.907.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.