The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 2.45% or 2.52 points to trade at 105.22 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 1.53% or 3.52 points to end at 233.43 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 1.46% or 2.19 points to 152.55 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 7.22% or 18.41 points to trade at 236.72 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.88% or 6.98 points to end at 235.49 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 2.79% or 7.31 points to 254.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nov Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which rose 9.57% to 14.88, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was up 9.10% to settle at 7.91 and Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which gained 8.54% to close at 24.03.
The worst performers were F5 Networks Inc (NASDAQ: FFIV ) which was down 9.01% to 186.83 in late trade, Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) which lost 7.22% to settle at 236.72 and Automatic Data Processing Inc (NASDAQ: ADP ) which was down 4.78% to 186.52 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which rose 44.83% to 2.940, US Well Services Inc (NASDAQ: USWS ) which was up 25.65% to settle at 0.943 and Galectin Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GALT ) which gained 22.60% to close at 5.10.
The worst performers were Urban Tea Inc (NASDAQ: MYT ) which was down 38.58% to 2.8500 in late trade, Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which lost 21.72% to settle at 4.29 and Atea Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVIR ) which was down 20.95% to 26.56 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1751 to 1248 and 123 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1723 rose and 1445 declined, while 121 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.59% to 17.28.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.20% or 3.55 to $1782.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.26% or 0.79 to hit $63.73 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.08% or 0.71 to trade at $66.58 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.28% to 1.2124, while USD/JPY fell 0.06% to 108.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.33% at 90.590.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.