The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 1.65% or 0.67 points to trade at 41.35 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 1.31% or 0.72 points to end at 55.78 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 1.15% or 0.50 points to 43.83 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.92% or 9.24 points to trade at 178.70 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 1.98% or 4.12 points to end at 203.92 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 1.55% or 3.05 points to 193.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Hartford Financial Services Group (NYSE: HIG ) which rose 4.70% to 42.31, DR Horton Inc (NYSE: DHI ) which was up 4.15% to settle at 62.54 and Packaging Corp of America (NYSE: PKG ) which gained 4.09% to close at 107.05.
The worst performers were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 15.62% to 15.61 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 9.73% to settle at 15.78 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 7.57% to 53.94 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were InnerWorkings Inc (NASDAQ: INWK ) which rose 115.91% to 2.85, Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which was up 76.47% to settle at 4.200 and BIO-Key International Inc (NASDAQ: BKYI ) which gained 50.38% to close at 1.2000.
The worst performers were Tricida Inc (NASDAQ: TCDA ) which was down 40.31% to 15.64 in late trade, Qutoutiao Inc (NASDAQ: QTT ) which lost 23.04% to settle at 2.84 and CLPS Inc (NASDAQ: CLPS ) which was down 21.69% to 2.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1616 to 1222 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1601 fell and 1073 advanced, while 75 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.86% to 28.00.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.95% or 17.15 to $1796.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.14% or 0.47 to hit $40.73 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.09% or 0.04 to trade at $43.31 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1381, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 107.30.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.24% at 96.270.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.