The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.59% or 0.95 points to trade at 60.55 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 1.27% or 2.59 points to end at 207.29 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.69% or 2.06 points to 300.53 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 3.33% or 10.78 points to trade at 313.37 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.96% or 2.27 points to end at 113.31 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 1.51% or 3.76 points to 245.70.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which rose 4.76% to 189.91, CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which was up 4.69% to settle at 14.72 and Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which gained 2.95% to close at 64.94.
The worst performers were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was down 7.67% to 15.52 in late trade, MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which lost 6.22% to settle at 32.39 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 6.14% to 142.31 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Genprex Inc (NASDAQ: GNPX ) which rose 219.44% to 1.1500, Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which was up 71.08% to settle at 9.820 and Vaxart Inc (NASDAQ: VXRT ) which gained 38.24% to close at 0.530.
The worst performers were Jiayin Group Inc (NASDAQ: JFIN ) which was down 20.75% to 4.24 in late trade, Kingold Jewelry Inc (NASDAQ: KGJI ) which lost 17.61% to settle at 1.4300 and Durect Corporation (NASDAQ: DRRX ) which was down 15.94% to 2.110 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1723 to 1100 and 79 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1643 fell and 1021 advanced, while 71 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.20% to 12.85.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.15% or 2.35 to $1557.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.55% or 0.32 to hit $58.26 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $64.50 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1083, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 109.86.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.01% at 97.370.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.