U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.53%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Technology , Financials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.53%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.79%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 1.66%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 2.53% or 3.53 points to trade at 142.82 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 2.48% or 12.06 points to end at 498.65 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 2.14% or 1.00 points to 47.72 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.24% or 8.01 points to trade at 180.84 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.86% or 6.94 points to end at 172.95 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 3.35% or 6.94 points to 200.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which rose 17.59% to 56.15, Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was up 7.49% to settle at 59.83 and Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which gained 6.97% to close at 58.94.
The worst performers were PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which was down 11.57% to 79.16 in late trade, Aptiv PLC (NYSE: APTV ) which lost 9.41% to settle at 105.87 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was down 9.07% to 36.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Atreca Inc (NASDAQ: BCEL ) which rose 211.38% to 5.20, Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which was up 53.64% to settle at 3.38 and VEON Ltd (NASDAQ: VEON ) which gained 52.09% to close at 0.40.
The worst performers were Cerberus Cyber Sentinel Corp (NASDAQ: CISO ) which was down 25.74% to 4.53 in late trade, Cambium Networks Corp (NASDAQ: CMBM ) which lost 24.66% to settle at 20.56 and View Inc (NASDAQ: VIEW ) which was down 23.78% to 1.41 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2128 to 1077 and 146 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2791 fell and 1004 advanced, while 242 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.92% to 31.98.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.98% or 38.40 to $1,974.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 6.84% or 7.36 to hit $115.03 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 6.85% or 7.57 to trade at $118.03 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.26% to 1.09, while USD/JPY fell 0.55% to 114.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.72% at 98.50.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or