The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 2.16% or 2.19 points to trade at 103.52 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 1.63% or 3.38 points to end at 210.94 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.35% or 2.28 points to 171.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 3.89% or 10.31 points to trade at 254.70 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 2.06% or 4.30 points to end at 204.66 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 1.81% or 4.97 points to 269.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which rose 8.21% to 19.90, Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC ) which was up 7.15% to settle at 38.22 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which gained 6.32% to close at 3.87.
The worst performers were PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which was down 6.41% to 191.84 in late trade, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which lost 6.16% to settle at 275.89 and Akamai Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AKAM ) which was down 4.38% to 108.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Lmp Automotive Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LMPX ) which rose 31.69% to 17.66, VivoPower International PLC (NASDAQ: VVPR ) which was up 28.15% to settle at 11.610 and National CineMedia Inc (NASDAQ: NCMI ) which gained 28.13% to close at 4.60.
The worst performers were Seelos Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SEEL ) which was down 28.52% to 0.599 in late trade, Fuwei Films Holdings Co Ltd (NASDAQ: FFHL ) which lost 28.20% to settle at 4.10 and Cancer Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: CGIX ) which was down 19.52% to 4.33 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1826 to 1249 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1759 fell and 1067 advanced, while 77 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.48% to 30.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.15% or 3.00 to $1940.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 4.52% or 1.87 to hit $39.50 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 3.93% or 1.73 to trade at $42.34 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.09% to 1.1838, while USD/JPY rose 0.07% to 106.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 92.808.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.