The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 8.13% or 5.15 points to trade at 68.47 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 2.85% or 3.74 points to end at 135.11 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.66% or 5.26 points to 323.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 3.50% or 1.76 points to trade at 48.49 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 2.91% or 2.58 points to end at 85.98 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 2.48% or 3.39 points to 133.15.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which rose 8.13% to 68.47, Arista Networks (NYSE: ANET ) which was up 3.47% to settle at 238.05 and DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which gained 3.34% to close at 83.19.
The worst performers were Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS ) which was down 11.14% to 76.29 in late trade, Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF ) which lost 9.86% to settle at 32.63 and Advance Auto Parts Inc (NYSE: AAP ) which was down 5.38% to 141.68 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Allied Healthcare Products Inc (NASDAQ: AHPI ) which rose 93.33% to 2.900, Lianluo Smart Ltd (NASDAQ: LLIT ) which was up 55.40% to settle at 1.0800 and Miragen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MGEN ) which gained 42.67% to close at 0.9700.
The worst performers were Toughbuilt Industries Inc (NASDAQ: TBLT ) which was down 43.21% to 0.1580 in late trade, CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which lost 40.75% to settle at 0.480 and Trans World Entertainment Corp (NASDAQ: TWMC ) which was down 24.50% to 5.270 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2010 to 783 and 96 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1998 fell and 660 advanced, while 65 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 12.17% to 14.56.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.36% or 5.70 to $1571.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 2.50% or 1.39 to hit $54.20 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 2.29% or 1.42 to trade at $60.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.24% to 1.1025, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 109.28.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.21% at 97.688.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.