The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 1.65% or 2.49 points to trade at 153.49 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.64% or 2.52 points to end at 394.85 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was up 0.38% or 0.61 points to 163.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 4.70% or 10.12 points to trade at 205.06 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.86% or 11.54 points to end at 391.55 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.80% or 1.51 points to 82.60.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TJX Companies Inc (NYSE: TJX ) which rose 5.83% to 73.55, Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was up 3.25% to settle at 1089.01 and General Motors Company (NYSE: GM ) which gained 3.19% to close at 64.61.
The worst performers were TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was down 7.31% to 6.720 in late trade, APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which lost 6.62% to settle at 27.66 and HollyFrontier Corporation (NYSE: HFC ) which was down 6.12% to 32.54 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were InMed Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INM ) which rose 39.29% to 1.950, Eyepoint Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: EYPT ) which was up 30.96% to settle at 18.400 and Where Food Comes From Inc (NASDAQ: WFCF ) which gained 29.26% to close at 14.60.
The worst performers were StoneCo Ltd (NASDAQ: STNE ) which was down 34.62% to 20.70 in late trade, Odonate Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ODT ) which lost 29.39% to settle at 2.330 and Bit Brother Ltd (NASDAQ: BTB ) which was down 28.93% to 1.2650 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2227 to 1026 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2630 fell and 1115 advanced, while 186 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.52% to 17.11.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.80% or 14.85 to $1868.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 3.09% or 2.46 to hit $77.28 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 2.80% or 2.31 to trade at $80.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1321, while USD/JPY fell 0.61% to 114.12.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.12% at 95.793.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.