The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 2.52% or 2.75 points to trade at 111.66 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 1.55% or 0.52 points to end at 34.04 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.55% or 2.39 points to 157.06 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 5.57% or 6.42 points to trade at 108.90 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.64% or 3.91 points to end at 144.38 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 2.21% or 2.71 points to 120.15.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which rose 11.14% to 103.42, ResMed Inc (NYSE: RMD ) which was up 7.01% to settle at 192.10 and Molson Coors Brewing Co Class B (NYSE: TAP ) which gained 5.69% to close at 35.28.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 21.13% to 41.35 in late trade, Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE: ADM ) which lost 7.33% to settle at 46.26 and Western Union Company (NYSE: WU ) which was down 7.03% to 19.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Marine Petroleum Trust (NASDAQ: MARPS ) which rose 37.40% to 3.380, BioLineRx Ltd (NASDAQ: BLRX ) which was up 35.14% to settle at 2.000 and Tricida Inc (NASDAQ: TCDA ) which gained 28.83% to close at 5.63.
The worst performers were Axovant Gene Therapies Ltd (NASDAQ: AXGT ) which was down 41.64% to 2.13 in late trade, Bellicum Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: BLCM ) which lost 36.78% to settle at 3.730 and Intec Pharma Ltd (NASDAQ: NTEC ) which was down 25.23% to 2.3000 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1893 to 1041 and 82 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1996 fell and 789 advanced, while 54 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.14% to 38.02.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.57% or 10.70 to $1878.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.11% or 0.40 to hit $35.77 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.97% or 0.37 to trade at $37.89 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.21% to 1.1649, while USD/JPY rose 0.06% to 104.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 94.037.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.