U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.67%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Industrials , Healthcare and Financials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.67%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.45%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.15%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.30% or 1.35 points to trade at 105.11 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.72% or 2.06 points to end at 287.18 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 0.66% or 0.95 points to 145.70 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.56% or 13.18 points to trade at 501.24 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.17% or 3.20 points to end at 143.95 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 1.92% or 0.73 points to 37.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which rose 7.85% to 36.73, The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which was up 3.21% to settle at 46.31 and Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which gained 3.04% to close at 27.14.
The worst performers were Fastenal Company (NASDAQ: FAST ) which was down 6.44% to 46.77 in late trade, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc (NASDAQ: ODFL ) which lost 5.13% to settle at 249.32 and Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which was down 4.47% to 29.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Qurate Retail Inc Series B (NASDAQ: QRTEB ) which rose 71.24% to 5.20, XORTX Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: XRTX ) which was up 48.36% to settle at 1.81 and Liberty Tripadvisor Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LTRPB ) which gained 46.81% to close at 13.80.
The worst performers were Humanigen Inc (NASDAQ: HGEN ) which was down 79.56% to 0.61 in late trade, Atara Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATRA ) which lost 55.08% to settle at 3.89 and Applied Genetic (NASDAQ: AGTC ) which was down 53.99% to 0.39 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1754 to 1348 and 174 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1898 fell and 1834 advanced, while 244 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.72% to 26.82.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.48% or 8.35 to $1,733.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.26% or 0.25 to hit $96.09 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.03 to trade at $99.46 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.19% to 1.01, while USD/JPY rose 0.37% to 137.37.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 107.85.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or