The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 2.19% or 4.87 points to trade at 226.87 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.44% or 3.04 points to end at 214.83 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 1.07% or 1.84 points to 173.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 2.70% or 3.40 points to trade at 122.63 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 2.39% or 3.79 points to end at 154.73 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 2.25% or 2.97 points to 128.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which rose 6.03% to 200.14, LyondellBasell Industries NV (NYSE: LYB ) which was up 3.70% to settle at 103.43 and Deere & Company (NYSE: DE ) which gained 3.00% to close at 389.48.
The worst performers were Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which was down 11.50% to 121.23 in late trade, Generac Holdlings Inc (NYSE: GNRC ) which lost 7.11% to settle at 281.64 and Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which was down 6.84% to 400.67 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Terawulf Inc (NASDAQ: WULF ) which rose 49.29% to 9.51, Guardforce AI Co Ltd (NASDAQ: GFAI ) which was up 45.04% to settle at 0.78 and Clearside Biomedical Inc (NASDAQ: CLSD ) which gained 42.59% to close at 1.92.
The worst performers were Orphazyme (NASDAQ: ORPH ) which was down 45.75% to 0.68 in late trade, Zhongchao Inc (NASDAQ: ZCMD ) which lost 38.24% to settle at 1.05 and Exela Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: XELA ) which was down 32.68% to 0.57 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2336 to 869 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2704 fell and 1122 advanced, while 196 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.72% to 30.75.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.41% or 8.15 to $1,992.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 3.00% or 3.18 to hit $109.20 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 2.83% or 3.09 to trade at $112.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.65% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 1.00% to 117.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.62% at 99.11.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.