The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 2.51% or 7.39 points to trade at 301.26 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 1.86% or 0.92 points to end at 50.47 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 1.40% or 1.93 points to 139.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 2.76% or 2.62 points to trade at 92.34 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 2.24% or 4.00 points to end at 174.23 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 2.06% or 3.10 points to 147.07.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which rose 6.36% to 8.86, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was up 6.20% to settle at 27.42 and Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which gained 5.91% to close at 206.43.
The worst performers were Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which was down 4.99% to 110.29 in late trade, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc (NYSE: BIO ) which lost 3.69% to settle at 475.79 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 3.69% to 58.00 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SKYX Platforms Corp (NASDAQ: SKYX ) which rose 43.15% to 4.91, Intelligent Living Application Group Inc (NASDAQ: ILAG ) which was up 37.78% to settle at 3.10 and Exela Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: XELA ) which gained 34.33% to close at 0.14.
The worst performers were United Maritime Corp (NASDAQ: USEA ) which was down 58.65% to 2.51 in late trade, Performance Shipping Inc (NASDAQ: PSHG ) which lost 57.07% to settle at 0.23 and G Medical Innovations Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: GMVD ) which was down 45.09% to 0.51 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1692 to 1448 and 150 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1940 fell and 1838 advanced, while 247 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.42% to 25.30.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.19% or 3.25 to $1,706.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 4.62% or 4.37 to hit $98.94 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 4.51% or 4.56 to trade at $105.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.58% to 1.01, while USD/JPY fell 0.29% to 138.13.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.59% at 107.27.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.