U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.77%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.77%, while the S&P 500 index fell 1.30%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 1.96%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.06% or 3.76 points to trade at 357.46 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 1.01% or 0.41 points to end at 41.05 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 0.68% or 0.91 points to 135.30 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 3.70% or 6.23 points to trade at 162.00 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 2.93% or 5.25 points to end at 174.20 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 2.32% or 2.67 points to 112.58.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cincinnati Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CINF ) which rose 5.77% to 111.52, AutoZone Inc (NYSE: AZO ) which was up 2.50% to settle at 2,428.58 and O’Reilly Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: ORLY ) which gained 2.39% to close at 789.63.
The worst performers were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was down 6.32% to 166.66 in late trade, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which lost 5.91% to settle at 191.62 and Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which was down 4.48% to 180.87 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Heart Test Laboratories Inc Unit (NASDAQ: HSCS ) which rose 170.08% to 2.35, G Medical Innovations Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: GMVD ) which was up 80.33% to settle at 5.41 and Blackboxstocks Inc (NASDAQ: BLBX ) which gained 64.30% to close at 0.71.
The worst performers were CN Energy Group Inc (NASDAQ: CNEY ) which was down 72.86% to 0.59 in late trade, BuzzFeed Inc (NASDAQ: BZFD ) which lost 29.20% to settle at 2.74 and Bridger Aerospace Group Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BAER ) which was down 25.16% to 9.31 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2127 to 910 and 131 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2502 fell and 1225 advanced, while 178 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.73% to 19.94.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.37% or 7.10 to $1,922.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 2.42% or 1.93 to hit $77.75 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 2.35% or 2.03 to trade at $84.37 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.16% to 1.08, while USD/JPY rose 0.45% to 130.43.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.32% at 102.05.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or