The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 1.52% or 7.74 points to trade at 517.76 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.68% or 1.68 points to end at 248.51 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was up 0.65% or 1.14 points to 177.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.46% or 8.53 points to trade at 182.65 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 3.98% or 8.71 points to end at 210.14 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 2.17% or 1.07 points to 48.13.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc (NYSE: ZBH ) which rose 2.60% to 129.13, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was up 2.43% to settle at 20.22 and JM Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM ) which gained 2.32% to close at 137.77.
The worst performers were MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 10.97% to 307.60 in late trade, Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which lost 7.41% to settle at 439.38 and Ceridian HCM Holding Inc (NYSE: CDAY ) which was down 6.37% to 65.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Anghami De Inc (NASDAQ: ANGH ) which rose 47.52% to 13.41, Inozyme Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: INZY ) which was up 38.60% to settle at 5.96 and Kaspien Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: KSPN ) which gained 34.18% to close at 9.50.
The worst performers were Cognyte Software Ltd (NASDAQ: CGNT ) which was down 31.13% to 8.03 in late trade, Imara Inc (NASDAQ: IMRA ) which lost 22.09% to settle at 1.27 and Immix Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: IMMX ) which was down 22.01% to 2.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2638 to 591 and 115 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2858 fell and 998 advanced, while 212 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 13.25% to 21.03.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.71% or 13.80 to $1,920.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 2.51% or 2.59 to hit $100.69 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 2.01% or 2.16 to trade at $105.37 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.59% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.69% to 123.63.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.50% at 99.47.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.