The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which rose 0.14% or 0.21 points to trade at 153.35 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 points to end at 59.08 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was down 0.17% or 0.56 points to 332.76 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 2.47% or 1.33 points to trade at 52.42 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 1.63% or 0.79 points to end at 47.63 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 1.39% or 2.09 points to 148.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Lamb Weston Holdings Inc (NYSE: LW ) which rose 11.26% to 93.56, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was up 7.83% to settle at 18.86 and Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC ) which gained 5.43% to close at 375.01.
The worst performers were Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was down 9.39% to 77.90 in late trade, HollyFrontier Corporation (NYSE: HFC ) which lost 6.25% to settle at 48.18 and Marathon Petroleum Corp (NYSE: MPC ) which was down 5.94% to 58.23 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Leap Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LPTX ) which rose 51.93% to 1.61, Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which was up 42.80% to settle at 0.3570 and Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which gained 38.30% to close at 0.4550.
The worst performers were Novan Inc (NASDAQ: NOVN ) which was down 73.05% to 0.84 in late trade, Synthesis Energy Systems Inc (NASDAQ: SES ) which lost 22.54% to settle at 8.8300 and Dragon Victory International Ltd (NASDAQ: LYL ) which was down 16.26% to 1.11 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1535 to 1294 and 88 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1711 fell and 943 advanced, while 74 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 12.43% to 14.02.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 1.77% or 27.05 to $1555.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 3.02% or 1.85 to hit $63.03 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 3.64% or 2.41 to trade at $68.66 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.07% to 1.1162, while USD/JPY fell 0.42% to 108.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 96.602.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.