The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 2.01% or 3.33 points to trade at 169.13 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 1.12% or 1.59 points to end at 143.79 and Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) was up 0.35% or 0.61 points to 173.81 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 7.27% or 2.97 points to trade at 37.90 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 3.26% or 5.57 points to end at 165.04 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 2.57% or 4.72 points to 178.76.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which rose 5.74% to 195.24, Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which was up 4.73% to settle at 125.34 and SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which gained 4.08% to close at 273.68.
The worst performers were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) which was down 7.27% to 37.90 in late trade, Universal Health Services Inc (NYSE: UHS ) which lost 6.09% to settle at 100.71 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 6.04% to 8.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Revelation Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: REVB ) which rose 77.40% to 1.11, Ensysce Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENSC ) which was up 73.09% to settle at 0.87 and Fast Radius Inc (NASDAQ: FSRD ) which gained 38.92% to close at 0.63.
The worst performers were Akerna Corp (NASDAQ: KERN ) which was down 52.95% to 0.14 in late trade, Renalytix AI (NASDAQ: RNLX ) which lost 38.29% to settle at 2.45 and First Wave BioPharma Inc (NASDAQ: FWBI ) which was down 37.50% to 0.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1953 to 1258 and 127 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2264 fell and 1586 advanced, while 219 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.85% to 28.68.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.53% or 9.65 to $1,807.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 3.47% or 3.81 to hit $105.97 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 2.83% or 3.18 to trade at $109.27 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.42% to 1.05, while USD/JPY fell 0.63% to 135.71.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.35% at 104.49.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.