The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 0.94% or 2.80 points to trade at 299.79 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 0.10% or 0.26 points to end at 254.37 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 0.07% or 0.04 points to 55.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.95% or 0.96 points to trade at 48.22 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 1.88% or 3.87 points to end at 202.33 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 1.81% or 1.77 points to 96.20.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc (NYSE: ZBH ) which rose 4.74% to 147.68, Teleflex Incorporated (NYSE: TFX ) which was up 2.54% to settle at 387.34 and Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which gained 2.40% to close at 46.04.
The worst performers were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 10.85% to 92.25 in late trade, Comcast Corp (NASDAQ: CMCSA ) which lost 7.30% to settle at 55.59 and DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was down 5.11% to 42.00 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Communications Systems Inc (NASDAQ: JCS ) which rose 38.59% to 9.410, Cyren Ltd (NASDAQ: CYRN ) which was up 26.73% to settle at 0.7363 and Gaucho Group Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: VINO ) which gained 25.80% to close at 3.950.
The worst performers were Aterian Inc (NASDAQ: ATER ) which was down 39.04% to 10.96 in late trade, Support.com Inc (NASDAQ: SPRT ) which lost 38.22% to settle at 11.800 and Virpax Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRPX ) which was down 37.74% to 6.070 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2285 to 946 and 127 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2589 fell and 1005 advanced, while 140 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.46% to 19.46.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.70% or 12.65 to $1807.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $70.45 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.18% or 0.13 to trade at $73.64 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1806, while USD/JPY fell 0.30% to 109.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 92.625.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.