The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ), which rose 2.63% or 1.48 points to trade at 57.76 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.80% or 2.54 points to end at 143.57 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was up 1.79% or 2.96 points to 168.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 3.74% or 7.66 points to trade at 197.40 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 2.49% or 1.36 points to end at 53.32 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 2.45% or 10.16 points to 405.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE: BMY ) which rose 4.77% to 59.05, Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which was up 4.70% to settle at 38.54 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which gained 4.59% to close at 55.20.
The worst performers were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was down 6.75% to 281.61 in late trade, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which lost 6.72% to settle at 6.110 and Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 6.66% to 24.95 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SeaChange International Inc (NASDAQ: SEAC ) which rose 128.81% to 1.7200, Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ARNA ) which was up 80.38% to settle at 90.08 and Foghorn Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FHTX ) which gained 54.96% to close at 18.58.
The worst performers were Nisun International Enterprise Development Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: NISN ) which was down 60.29% to 4.38 in late trade, X4 Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: XFOR ) which lost 44.13% to settle at 2.140 and IGM Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: IGMS ) which was down 41.31% to 29.25 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2312 to 943 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2736 fell and 1059 advanced, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.67% to 20.31.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.14% or 2.55 to $1787.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.67% or 0.48 to hit $71.19 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $74.21 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.00% to 1.1282, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 113.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.26% at 96.320.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.