U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.94%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Basic Materials , Industrials and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.94%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.76%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 1.12%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 1.86% or 2.42 points to trade at 132.60 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.19% or 1.57 points to end at 133.94 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 0.76% or 0.39 points to 51.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 4.35% or 2.76 points to trade at 60.75 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 3.97% or 9.98 points to end at 241.25 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 3.44% or 7.77 points to 218.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were WEC Energy Group Inc (NYSE: WEC ) which rose 4.07% to 92.37, CMS Energy Corporation (NYSE: CMS ) which was up 3.47% to settle at 60.53 and Nextera Energy Inc (NYSE: NEE ) which gained 3.25% to close at 74.02.
The worst performers were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 9.51% to 16.09 in late trade, ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which lost 9.06% to settle at 91.25 and Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which was down 8.33% to 27.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Dolphin Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: DLPN ) which rose 236.33% to 18.3300, Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which was up 190.28% to settle at 9.26 and Liquid Media Group Ltd (NASDAQ: YVR ) which gained 22.92% to close at 5.310.
The worst performers were Frequency Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FREQ ) which was down 77.98% to 7.99 in late trade, Windtree Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: WINT ) which lost 34.29% to settle at 2.530 and Jiayin Group Inc (NASDAQ: JFIN ) which was down 29.92% to 10.26 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 0 to 0; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 0 fell and 0 advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.52% to 20.30.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.05% or 0.90 to $1726.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.17% or 0.10 to hit $57.86 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 1.01% or 0.61 to trade at $60.99 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1844, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 108.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 92.403.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or