U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.01%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.01%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.66%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 0.55%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 0.39% or 0.34 points to trade at 87.38 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 0.30% or 0.18 points to end at 60.14 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 0.19% or 0.23 points to 122.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.76% or 1.59 points to trade at 56.07 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 2.52% or 1.34 points to end at 51.82 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 2.48% or 5.40 points to 212.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Crown Castle International Corp (NYSE: CCI ) which rose 2.44% to 134.15, DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was up 2.33% to settle at 36.90 and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which gained 1.97% to close at 123.11.
The worst performers were Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which was down 5.94% to 18.38 in late trade, Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which lost 5.05% to settle at 28.94 and Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which was down 4.72% to 45.41 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Audentes Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BOLD ) which rose 105.98% to 58.93, OUTLOOK THERAPEUTICS INC (NASDAQ: OTLK ) which was up 53.12% to settle at 1.59 and Motif Bio PLC (NASDAQ: MTFB ) which gained 50.05% to close at 0.14.
The worst performers were Aslan Pharmaceuticals Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: ASLN ) which was down 49.62% to 2.62 in late trade, Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which lost 47.01% to settle at 4.69 and Cara Therapeutic (NASDAQ: CARA ) which was down 34.56% to 16.93 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1742 to 1094 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1641 fell and 996 advanced, while 81 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.04% to 15.96 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.97% or 14.25 to $1483.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.61% or 0.34 to hit $56.30 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.11% or 0.07 to trade at $61.15 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1081, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 108.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.12% at 97.678.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or