U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.05%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Technology , Consumer Goods and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.05%, while the S&P 500 index declined 1.63%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 2.47%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 1.32% or 2.90 points to trade at 222.90 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 0.91% or 1.60 points to end at 177.60 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 0.73% or 1.03 points to 141.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 3.86% or 5.83 points to trade at 145.38 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 3.23% or 1.45 points to end at 43.39 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 2.17% or 3.87 points to 174.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which rose 3.65% to 129.12, Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC ) which was up 3.35% to settle at 478.37 and Alaska Air Group Inc (NYSE: ALK ) which gained 3.14% to close at 48.88.
The worst performers were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was down 9.22% to 703.55 in late trade, Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which lost 7.23% to settle at 80.98 and Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 7.20% to 69.94 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Turning Point Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TPTX ) which rose 118.35% to 74.59, Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which was up 48.65% to settle at 1.65 and Galecto Inc (NASDAQ: GLTO ) which gained 35.17% to close at 1.96.
The worst performers were Bit Origin Ltd (NASDAQ: BTOG ) which was down 44.43% to 0.48 in late trade, TC BioPharm Holdings PLC (NASDAQ: TCBP ) which lost 36.07% to settle at 0.38 and Rallybio Corp (NASDAQ: RLYB ) which was down 30.01% to 9.26 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2267 to 893 and 121 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2341 fell and 1456 advanced, while 235 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.28% to 24.79.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.95% or 17.85 to $1,853.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.92% or 3.41 to hit $120.28 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 3.12% or 3.67 to trade at $121.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.23% to 1.07, while USD/JPY rose 0.77% to 130.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 102.17.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or