The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 0.69% or 0.37 points to trade at 53.90 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 0.44% or 0.27 points to end at 61.95 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 0.42% or 0.78 points to 185.64 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 3.94% or 11.71 points to trade at 285.26 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.34% or 6.13 points to end at 177.57 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 2.58% or 1.40 points to 52.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were AT&T Inc (NYSE: T ) which rose 7.46% to 19.63, Warner Bros Discovery Inc (NASDAQ: WBD ) which was up 4.13% to settle at 25.48 and Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which gained 4.00% to close at 38.21.
The worst performers were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was down 6.28% to 57.92 in late trade, IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which lost 5.97% to settle at 514.48 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was down 5.20% to 219.17 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Veru Inc (NASDAQ: VERU ) which rose 182.30% to 12.28, Hoth Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: HOTH ) which was up 70.48% to settle at 1.05 and Athersys Inc (NASDAQ: ATHX ) which gained 63.00% to close at 0.86.
The worst performers were Singularity Future Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: SGLY ) which was down 44.03% to 7.08 in late trade, Helix Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: MLTX ) which lost 39.00% to settle at 6.71 and Bicycle Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: BCYC ) which was down 38.69% to 28.81 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2236 to 972 and 118 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2546 fell and 1298 advanced, while 202 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 15.17% to 24.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.46% or 8.90 to $1,954.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 3.46% or 3.40 to hit $94.86 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 3.68% or 3.78 to trade at $99.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.06% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.83% to 125.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.22% at 99.98.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.