The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 0.95% or 0.72 points to trade at 76.41 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.37% or 1.42 points to end at 389.40 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.32% or 0.45 points to 139.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 2.95% or 4.66 points to trade at 153.53 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.93% or 5.91 points to end at 195.46 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 2.71% or 4.38 points to 156.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which rose 3.39% to 18.90, Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which was up 2.59% to settle at 61.02 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which gained 2.12% to close at 20.76.
The worst performers were Principal Financial Group Inc (NASDAQ: PFG ) which was down 6.59% to 66.92 in late trade, Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which lost 6.25% to settle at 276.38 and Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which was down 5.82% to 111.13 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Society Pass Inc (NASDAQ: SOPA ) which rose 240.18% to 11.26, SeaChange International Inc (NASDAQ: SEAC ) which was up 36.36% to settle at 2.1000 and Aeroclean Technologies LLC (NASDAQ: AERC ) which gained 33.69% to close at 11.31.
The worst performers were Summit Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: SMMT ) which was down 47.99% to 2.590 in late trade, Insignia Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISIG ) which lost 35.06% to settle at 11.500 and Nutriband Inc (NASDAQ: NTRB ) which was down 23.60% to 3.14 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2617 to 655 and 118 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2743 fell and 1098 advanced, while 183 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.03% to 22.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.75% or 13.45 to $1791.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 2.38% or 1.69 to hit $69.17 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.06% or 0.04 to trade at $72.08 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1280, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 113.62.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 96.515.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.