The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 1.06% or 1.74 points to trade at 165.83 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 0.82% or 1.39 points to end at 170.21 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 0.53% or 0.42 points to 79.72 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 3.88% or 12.78 points to trade at 316.95 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 3.25% or 7.09 points to end at 211.12 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 3.01% or 1.69 points to 54.48.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which rose 4.57% to 106.23, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which was up 3.85% to settle at 142.64 and Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which gained 3.77% to close at 78.90.
The worst performers were Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which was down 9.34% to 422.90 in late trade, ResMed Inc (NYSE: RMD ) which lost 8.65% to settle at 232.99 and Signature Bank (NASDAQ: SBNY ) which was down 6.60% to 299.99 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Creative Medical Technology Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CELZ ) which rose 82.35% to 3.10, XORTX Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: XRTX ) which was up 43.80% to settle at 1.74 and Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which gained 37.25% to close at 2.10.
The worst performers were Codex DNA Inc (NASDAQ: DNAY ) which was down 34.13% to 6.06 in late trade, AdTheorent Holding Company Inc (NASDAQ: ADTH ) which lost 26.06% to settle at 7.69 and JX Luxventure Ltd (NASDAQ: LLL ) which was down 23.01% to 3.38 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2081 to 1080 and 119 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2535 fell and 1260 advanced, while 158 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.75% to 23.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.32% or 25.45 to $1,946.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 4.97% or 5.43 to hit $114.70 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 5.32% or 6.14 to trade at $121.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.17% to 1.10, while USD/JPY rose 0.27% to 121.13.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 98.62.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.