The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.13% or 2.33 points to trade at 209.15 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 0.06% or 0.08 points to end at 134.80 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was down 0.03% or 0.07 points to 226.43 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 3.66% or 6.71 points to trade at 176.71 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 3.75% or 3.34 points to end at 85.68 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 3.44% or 1.87 points to 52.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which rose 8.46% to 20.00, Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SWKS ) which was up 6.90% to settle at 170.81 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which gained 6.50% to close at 56.07.
The worst performers were Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which was down 14.91% to 16.18 in late trade, ResMed Inc (NYSE: RMD ) which lost 7.23% to settle at 200.31 and Principal Financial Group Inc (NASDAQ: PFG ) which was down 6.87% to 48.94 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Siebert Financial Corp (NASDAQ: SIEB ) which rose 132.34% to 8.62, Iconix Brand Group Inc (NASDAQ: ICON ) which was up 83.13% to settle at 3.040 and Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which gained 72.78% to close at 72.500.
The worst performers were Marine Petroleum Trust (NASDAQ: MARPS ) which was down 40.92% to 5.305 in late trade, eHealth Inc (NASDAQ: EHTH ) which lost 38.18% to settle at 48.34 and Ucommune International Ltd (NASDAQ: UK ) which was down 33.60% to 3.38 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2312 to 786 and 71 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2121 fell and 969 advanced, while 56 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.56% to 30.68.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.44% or 8.15 to $1849.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $52.34 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $55.11 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.2134, while USD/JPY rose 0.50% to 104.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.12% at 90.532.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.