The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 1.17% or 1.47 points to trade at 127.40 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 0.96% or 1.84 points to end at 192.63 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.80% or 0.42 points to 53.17 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 3.92% or 15.57 points to trade at 381.80 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 3.20% or 4.59 points to end at 138.75 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 2.89% or 11.55 points to 387.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cerner Corp (NASDAQ: CERN ) which rose 12.93% to 89.77, Penn National Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: PENN ) which was up 8.00% to settle at 48.22 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which gained 5.23% to close at 72.40.
The worst performers were Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which was down 7.98% to 38.03 in late trade, Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which lost 6.39% to settle at 96.62 and Western Union Co (NYSE: WU ) which was down 6.00% to 17.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Spruce Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: SPRB ) which rose 102.82% to 5.03, Genfit SA (NASDAQ: GNFT ) which was up 54.24% to settle at 5.090 and Bellerophon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BLPH ) which gained 34.60% to close at 3.190.
The worst performers were Abeona Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ABEO ) which was down 39.97% to 0.2930 in late trade, Gbs (NASDAQ: GBS ) which lost 23.17% to settle at 1.260 and Terawulf Inc (NASDAQ: WULF ) which was down 20.21% to 12.95 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1878 to 1374 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2218 rose and 1616 declined, while 192 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.86% to 21.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.01% or 0.15 to $1798.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 2.87% or 2.08 to hit $70.30 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 2.72% or 2.04 to trade at $72.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.78% to 1.1240, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 113.68.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.66% at 96.645.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.