The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 0.48% or 1.04 points to trade at 215.71 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 0.41% or 0.93 points to end at 229.87 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 0.33% or 0.42 points to 129.38 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 6.97% or 26.54 points to trade at 354.40 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 4.19% or 6.62 points to end at 151.27 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 2.66% or 1.63 points to 59.73.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which rose 25.88% to 82.31, Citrix Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CTXS ) which was up 5.43% to settle at 101.00 and CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which gained 2.72% to close at 68.25.
The worst performers were Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which was down 8.85% to 186.61 in late trade, Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which lost 8.77% to settle at 152.36 and KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ: KLAC ) which was down 7.20% to 412.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Brickell Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: BBI ) which rose 58.58% to 0.3300, DatChat Inc (NASDAQ: DATS ) which was up 38.75% to settle at 3.33 and NeuroMetrix Inc (NASDAQ: NURO ) which gained 29.47% to close at 6.370.
The worst performers were China SXT Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SXTC ) which was down 58.77% to 0.2216 in late trade, Guardforce AI Co Ltd (NASDAQ: GFAI ) which lost 29.01% to settle at 1.15 and East Stone Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: ESSC ) which was down 28.19% to 11.16 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2766 to 538 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3171 fell and 696 advanced, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 18.76% to 22.79.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.17% or 3.05 to $1813.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 3.10% or 2.58 to hit $85.88 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.14% or 0.12 to trade at $88.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1327, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 114.60.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.58% at 95.710.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.