The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 1.30% or 1.49 points to trade at 115.86 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 0.85% or 0.34 points to end at 40.16 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 0.44% or 0.55 points to 125.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 4.06% or 2.78 points to trade at 65.69 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 3.31% or 4.65 points to end at 135.73 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 3.31% or 4.47 points to 130.64.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which rose 5.36% to 30.67, Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL ) which was up 2.82% to settle at 73.96 and Amcor (NYSE: AMCR ) which gained 2.67% to close at 10.77.
The worst performers were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 8.06% to 123.89 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 7.94% to settle at 10.90 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 7.59% to 116.91 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cleveland BioLabs Inc (NASDAQ: CBLI ) which rose 210.61% to 4.1000, Lianluo Smart Ltd (NASDAQ: LLIT ) which was up 154.63% to settle at 2.7500 and Co-Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CODX ) which gained 82.45% to close at 3.430.
The worst performers were NeuroMetrix Inc (NASDAQ: NURO ) which was down 25.89% to 3.52 in late trade, Youngevity International Inc (NASDAQ: YGYI ) which lost 20.91% to settle at 1.740 and Kitov Pharmaceuticals Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: KTOV ) which was down 16.75% to 0.6910 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2293 to 529 and 66 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2065 fell and 616 advanced, while 60 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 25.21% to 18.23 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.59% or 9.30 to $1581.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 2.51% or 1.36 to hit $52.83 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $58.20 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1020, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 108.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 97.752.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.