The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which fell 0.16% or 0.47 points to trade at 302.65 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) fell 0.35% or 0.74 points to end at 208.71 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was down 0.41% or 0.53 points to 128.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 3.76% or 4.03 points to trade at 103.04 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 3.75% or 1.98 points to end at 50.83 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 3.53% or 12.77 points to 348.73.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which rose 3.72% to 98.17, Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which was up 2.58% to settle at 565.59 and ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which gained 1.90% to close at 318.56.
The worst performers were Globe Life Inc (NYSE: GL ) which was down 6.08% to 92.14 in late trade, Baker Hughes Co (NYSE: BKR ) which lost 5.42% to settle at 22.68 and FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC ) which was down 5.07% to 112.02 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Alfi Inc (NASDAQ: ALF ) which rose 30.41% to 8.02, Sykes Enterprises Incorporated (NASDAQ: SYKE ) which was up 29.95% to settle at 53.50 and Geron Corporation (NASDAQ: GERN ) which gained 29.08% to close at 1.820.
The worst performers were Orphazyme (NASDAQ: ORPH ) which was down 49.79% to 7.31 in late trade, Athira Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: ATHA ) which lost 39.36% to settle at 11.06 and Urban One (NASDAQ: UONE ) which was down 27.31% to 9.930 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2491 to 693 and 87 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2562 fell and 901 advanced, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 16.62% to 20.70.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.65% or 11.55 to $1763.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.77% or 0.55 to hit $71.59 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.40% or 0.29 to trade at $73.37 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.37% to 1.1862, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 110.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.47% at 92.308.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.