The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 0.35% or 0.25 points to trade at 71.93 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) fell 0.04% or 0.02 points to end at 54.26 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) was down 0.53% or 0.96 points to 180.53 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 4.47% or 8.93 points to trade at 190.82 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 3.41% or 13.33 points to end at 378.13 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 2.99% or 4.72 points to 152.96.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which rose 3.04% to 20.33, Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which was up 1.67% to settle at 40.78 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which gained 1.64% to close at 45.27.
The worst performers were Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which was down 8.69% to 23.97 in late trade, Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which lost 7.64% to settle at 96.88 and TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 7.60% to 33.07 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Edesa Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which rose 102.72% to 11.920, Zivo Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: ZIVO ) which was up 66.43% to settle at 4.660 and Discovery Communications B Inc (NASDAQ: DISCB ) which gained 45.47% to close at 67.50.
The worst performers were BeyondSpring Inc (NASDAQ: BYSI ) which was down 32.91% to 15.37 in late trade, Aerovate Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: AVTE ) which lost 26.59% to settle at 14.80 and Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which was down 25.84% to 13.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2730 to 470 and 84 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2995 fell and 553 advanced, while 118 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 23.55% to 25.71 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.83% or 14.55 to $1765.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 1.73% or 1.24 to hit $70.58 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.39% or 1.05 to trade at $74.29 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1726, while USD/JPY fell 0.53% to 109.38.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 93.237.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.