The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 0.10% or 0.17 points to trade at 177.80 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) fell 0.18% or 0.24 points to end at 135.41 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was down 0.24% or 0.18 points to 74.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 5.42% or 12.42 points to trade at 216.92 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 4.53% or 2.86 points to end at 60.33 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 4.21% or 10.12 points to 230.34.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which rose 13.44% to 8.61, Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which was up 4.45% to settle at 84.74 and Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which gained 3.78% to close at 74.64.
The worst performers were NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which was down 13.02% to 62.25 in late trade, ANSYS Inc (NASDAQ: ANSS ) which lost 12.37% to settle at 337.69 and TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 12.39% to 43.42 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Pandion Therapeutics Holdco Llc (NASDAQ: PAND ) which rose 133.52% to 59.85, Chromadex Corp (NASDAQ: CDXC ) which was up 115.61% to settle at 21.00 and TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which gained 35.37% to close at 4.210.
The worst performers were Collplant Biotechnologies Ltd (NASDAQ: CLGN ) which was down 27.38% to 13.74 in late trade, The9 Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: NCTY ) which lost 24.07% to settle at 43.020 and Akebia Ther (NASDAQ: AKBA ) which was down 19.04% to 3.46 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2728 to 426 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2769 fell and 469 advanced, while 36 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 39.97% to 29.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.57% or 28.30 to $1769.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.40% or 0.25 to hit $63.47 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.15% or 0.10 to trade at $66.08 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.2171, while USD/JPY rose 0.38% to 106.27.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 90.227.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.