The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 0.09% or 0.11 points to trade at 123.78 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) fell 0.23% or 0.10 points to end at 43.22 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was down 0.32% or 0.11 points to 33.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 3.32% or 3.61 points to trade at 105.00 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 3.27% or 2.94 points to end at 87.03 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 3.25% or 5.95 points to 177.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ONEOK Inc (NYSE: OKE ) which rose 4.97% to 32.94, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 3.65% to settle at 5.96 and Amcor (NYSE: AMCR ) which gained 3.17% to close at 9.11.
The worst performers were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 9.41% to 4.33 in late trade, CBRE Group Inc Class A (NYSE: CBRE ) which lost 8.87% to settle at 37.20 and Dentsply Sirona Inc (NASDAQ: XRAY ) which was down 8.26% to 36.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cymabay Therapeu (NASDAQ: CBAY ) which rose 127.17% to 4.180, Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which was up 62.53% to settle at 39.82 and Helius Medical Technologies Inc Class A (NASDAQ: HSDT ) which gained 52.94% to close at 0.650.
The worst performers were Genfit SA (NASDAQ: GNFT ) which was down 67.73% to 7.10 in late trade, Advanced Emissions Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: ADES ) which lost 33.03% to settle at 5.19 and Enochian Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENOB ) which was down 25.73% to 3.06 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2236 to 631 and 64 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1979 fell and 689 advanced, while 46 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 19.84% to 33.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.45% or 7.60 to $1705.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 5.10% or 1.23 to hit $25.37 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.07% or 0.02 to trade at $29.46 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.0849, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 107.13.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.23% at 100.037.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.