U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.94%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Consumer Services , Basic Materials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.94%, while the S&P 500 index lost 2.59%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 2.73%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 6.11% or 10.75 points to trade at 186.70 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 4.41% or 2.17 points to end at 51.36 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 1.06% or 1.30 points to 123.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.48% or 9.05 points to trade at 193.01 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 3.79% or 6.43 points to end at 163.13 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 3.76% or 3.02 points to 77.23.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which rose 12.80% to 21.95, Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which was up 11.83% to settle at 72.53 and Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which gained 10.92% to close at 17.57.
The worst performers were L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was down 14.53% to 36.75 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 10.49% to settle at 19.53 and Microchip Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MCHP ) which was down 8.25% to 133.02 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which rose 426.80% to 52.680, Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which was up 203.80% to settle at 1.190 and Fossil Group Inc (NASDAQ: FOSL ) which gained 84.82% to close at 23.38.
The worst performers were Globus Maritime Ltd (NASDAQ: GLBS ) which was down 22.01% to 5.4200 in late trade, Aikido Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: AIKI ) which lost 21.23% to settle at 1.410 and ENDRA Life Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: NDRA ) which was down 21.40% to 2.240 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2576 to 566 and 51 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2618 fell and 506 advanced, while 23 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 36.97% to 31.53 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.62% or 11.40 to $1839.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $52.61 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.61% or 0.34 to trade at $55.30 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.52% to 1.2096, while USD/JPY rose 0.57% to 104.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.56% at 90.657.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or