U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.94%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Technology , Basic Materials and Financials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 1.94%, while the S&P 500 index declined 2.38%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 2.75%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 0.78% or 2.33 points to trade at 299.86 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) fell 0.83% or 4.10 points to end at 489.43 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) was down 0.85% or 1.24 points to 144.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.23% or 5.90 points to trade at 133.73 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 3.76% or 4.04 points to end at 103.30 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 3.60% or 5.32 points to 142.64.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ: NXPI ) which rose 4.04% to 184.22, Pool Corporation (NASDAQ: POOL ) which was up 2.34% to settle at 416.39 and Dollar General Corporation (NYSE: DG ) which gained 1.70% to close at 237.71.
The worst performers were Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which was down 9.76% to 134.04 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 9.28% to settle at 11.73 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 9.17% to 13.76 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Powerbridge Technologies Co Ltd (NASDAQ: PBTS ) which rose 189.86% to 1.12, Nextplay Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: NXTP ) which was up 93.43% to settle at 0.35 and DBV Technologies (NASDAQ: DBVT ) which gained 79.56% to close at 3.25.
The worst performers were Cerberus Cyber Sentinel Corp (NASDAQ: CISO ) which was down 42.59% to 5.27 in late trade, Integrated Media Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: IMTE ) which lost 27.40% to settle at 2.65 and Transphorm Technology Inc (NASDAQ: TGAN ) which was down 25.64% to 4.90 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2712 to 512 and 87 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2788 fell and 1065 advanced, while 195 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.89% to 26.09.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.31% or 5.80 to $1,850.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.70% or 0.86 to hit $121.25 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.61% or 0.75 to trade at $122.83 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.91% to 1.06, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 134.43.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.76% at 103.32.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or