The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which fell 0.61% or 0.96 points to trade at 156.53 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) fell 0.72% or 1.33 points to end at 184.68 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was down 0.91% or 2.30 points to 249.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 5.80% or 7.42 points to trade at 120.52 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 5.04% or 8.87 points to end at 167.04 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 4.22% or 8.85 points to 201.10.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Sherwin-Williams Co (NYSE: SHW ) which rose 9.41% to 271.37, Waste Management Inc (NYSE: WM ) which was up 5.25% to settle at 164.15 and Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR ) which gained 4.63% to close at 187.16.
The worst performers were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was down 12.18% to 876.42 in late trade, General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which lost 10.34% to settle at 80.59 and Universal Health Services Inc (NYSE: UHS ) which was down 9.69% to 125.32 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Evoke Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: EVOK ) which rose 118.50% to 0.86, Nutex Health Inc (NASDAQ: NUTX ) which was up 73.76% to settle at 7.68 and Cyngn Inc (NASDAQ: CYN ) which gained 52.07% to close at 3.68.
The worst performers were Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which was down 49.95% to 9.41 in late trade, Enjoy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ENJY ) which lost 29.95% to settle at 1.45 and LogicBio Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LOGC ) which was down 25.74% to 0.40 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2708 to 493 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3254 fell and 616 advanced, while 206 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 24.06% to 33.52 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.56% or 10.70 to $1,906.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 3.67% or 3.62 to hit $102.16 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 3.01% or 3.07 to trade at $105.23 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.67% to 1.06, while USD/JPY fell 0.61% to 127.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.57% at 102.35.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.