The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 0.24% or 0.29 points to trade at 120.41 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 0.14% or 0.06 points to end at 42.54 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was down 0.23% or 0.35 points to 151.67 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 6.75% or 10.39 points to trade at 143.61 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 5.66% or 1.89 points to end at 31.53 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) shed 4.72% or 2.04 points to 41.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were FLIR Systems Inc (NASDAQ: FLIR ) which rose 14.11% to 38.97, DuPont Inc (NYSE: DD ) which was up 3.55% to settle at 39.72 and Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which gained 3.50% to close at 20.11.
The worst performers were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 10.30% to 5.31 in late trade, Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which lost 10.19% to settle at 6.26 and Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO ) which was down 9.27% to 38.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which rose 124.78% to 13.06, Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CYCC ) which was up 37.80% to settle at 8.6400 and Immuron Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IMRN ) which gained 36.17% to close at 3.20.
The worst performers were Check Cap Ltd (NASDAQ: CHEK ) which was down 46.12% to 0.555 in late trade, Liberty Tripadvisor Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LTRPB ) which lost 22.31% to settle at 37.16 and CSI Compressco LP (NASDAQ: CCLP ) which was down 22.14% to 0.490 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2236 to 662 and 38 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1623 fell and 1057 advanced, while 43 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 14.89% to 43.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.78% or 13.30 to $1712.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 15.26% or 3.82 to hit $21.21 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.04% or 0.01 to trade at $25.95 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.0863, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 107.62.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.22% at 100.055.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.