The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which rose 0.25% or 0.14 points to trade at 56.06 at the close. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) fell 0.87% or 2.00 points to end at 227.94 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was down 1.15% or 1.54 points to 132.53 in late trade.
Biggest losers included American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which lost 5.15% or 5.86 points to trade at 108.01 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 5.08% or 7.78 points to end at 145.24 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 4.79% or 8.28 points to 164.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which rose 6.19% to 49.73, CME Group Inc (NASDAQ: CME ) which was up 3.19% to settle at 216.07 and Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which gained 2.59% to close at 64.24.
The worst performers were Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which was down 8.99% to 22.79 in late trade, The Charles Schwab Corporation (NYSE: SCHW ) which lost 8.77% to settle at 38.30 and SVB Financial Group (NASDAQ: SIVB ) which was down 8.36% to 198.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INO ) which rose 69.70% to 7.45, Superconductor Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SCON ) which was up 59.19% to settle at 0.3136 and Stealth BioTherapeutics Corp (NASDAQ: MITO ) which gained 58.21% to close at 3.07.
The worst performers were Spherix Inc (NASDAQ: SPEX ) which was down 36.59% to 0.780 in late trade, CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which lost 27.01% to settle at 0.451 and Heat Biologics Inc (NASDAQ: HTBX ) which was down 24.59% to 0.6033 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1908 to 946 and 50 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1950 fell and 732 advanced, while 55 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.17% to 36.82.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 2.93% or 46.80 to $1641.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.77% or 0.36 to hit $47.11 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.21% or 0.11 to trade at $51.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1173, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 107.12.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.16% at 97.160.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.